A Walk with the U.S. Surgeon General
- "Just get up and have fun."
- If we want people to be healthy, then we need to give them a healthy and safe place to do it.
- One person can make a difference - be that person.
- Too often we teach about the negative aspects of being overweight and sedentary and not enough time talking in a positive way about optimal well-being (e.g., the joy that can be brought from having good health).
- It used to be that kids were active all the time without realizing it by engaging in activities such as "double-dutch," disco dancing, and roller skating. Kids didn't have to be "prescribed" exercise, they just did it as a matter of play.
- Be active as much as possible
- Consume fruits and vegetables on a daily basis
- Engage the whole family
- Be creative and have fun
Labels: ACSM, American College of Sports Medicine, Baltimore Maryland, Exercise is Medicine, Exercise is Medicine Walk, Inaugural World Congress on Exercise is Medicine, Surgeon General Regina Benjamin