Now is the Time to Hit the Gym!
What can you expect from the Get Active America! program?
- May 3-6, 2010: Participating health facilities will invite club members to bring a friend, co-worker, or family member to exercise with them.
- May 7-9, 2010: Participating health clubs across America will open their doors to the public, free of charge, so that citizens can learn how to adopt a physically active and healthy lifestyle.
- Two-thirds of American adults are currently overweight or obese. Physical inactivity is one of the main contributors to this epidemic. The current health state of Americans is probably not a result of a lack of awareness of the risks associated with sedentary living, but a lack of knowledge as to the best way to go about increasing daily activity.
- Only 16% of Americans currently have a membership at a health and fitness club. These facilities are an excellent venue to get more active. In addition to providing various forms of aerobic and strength training equipment and classes, quality health clubs can offer personal programs with fitness professionals who can help you devise an exercise plan that meets your individual needs and goals. Furthermore, the social atmosphere that these facilities can help with motivation and improve adherence to a healthy and fit lifestyle.
- Does the facility provide a variety of endurance and weight training equipment to meet your fitness needs?
- Are there qualified and credentialed fitness professionals on staff and are they readily available to answer questions and assist with exercises?
- Does the club offer personal training as part of membership services?
- Does the club provide classes and programs geared toward your age group and/or fitness condition and medical history?
- Are fitness assessments available and are they conducted by experienced and credentialed employees?
- Does the facility have a protocol that can be put into place in the event of a medical emergency?
- Will special needs, such as physical limitations, be addressed to promote ease of use of facility amenities?
- Ensure that you read and fully understand the membership contract and the policies of the health center before signing the contract.