5 Tips for a Better Workout
- Fuel Up! A lack of energy to finish your workout session may be an indication that you are not properly fueling up before you begin. This can be especially true if you exercise first thing in the morning or right after work when you have gone an extended length of time without eating. Try a light snack, like a piece of fruit and a stick of cheese before you begin. Also, make sure you are adequately hydrated. Dehydration can decrease your exercise endurance.
- Sleep Tight to Exercise Right! Your body restores itself while you sleep. Your goal should be to get at least 8 hours of quality sleep each night. If you are involved in heavy training, such as with preparation for a marathon, you may need closer to 10 hours of sleep each night in order for your body to adequately recover from the demands of your sessions.
- Get Rid of Distractions! Use your exercise time to clear your mind and to de-stress. Turn off your cell phone, pager, etc., so that you can concentrate on your workout and fitness goals.
- Change it Up! Break the boredom and try alternative forms of exercise such as hula hooping, archery, Gliding, and skateboarding using a RipStik.
- Wear the Right Clothes and/or Use the Right Gear! I have heard many tradesmen say "There is nothing that can make a job a little easier than using the right set of tools." That holds true for your fitness workouts too. Replacing your worn sneakers for a new pair of athletic shoes can help to put a "spring" into your step. Electronic exercise aids such as heartrate monitors, global positioning systems, and pedometers can make your sessions more enjoyable.