Blogs > Simply Fit

Simply Fit, by Cindy Haskin-Popp, will help you make physical activity a part of everyday life. The health benefits of regular exercise and overall daily physical activity will be discussed. Fun, practical and easy-to-follow tips on an exercise program will be shared, as will the most current research. Fitness tips for families and seniors, on fitness centers and on buying proper and affordable equipment will be regularly given. 

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

April 6th is "World Day for Physical Activity"

     Join the rest of the world and become a "physically active citizen" Monday, April 6 in honor of "World Day for Physical Activity".  This campaign to promote physical activity is facilitated by the Agita Mundo Network, a division under the Brazil-based organization, Centro de Estudos do Laboratorio de Aptidao Fisica de Sao Caetano do Sul (CELAFISCS).  According to the Agita Mundo Network's website, www.agitamundo.org, more than 6,000 events celebrating "World Day for Physical Activity" occurred around the world last year.  
     In February of this year, the American College of Sports Medicine (www.acsm.org) announced its partnership with CELAFISCS to advance international health and fitness.  This press release stated that in past events there were more than one million participants honoring the campaign.
     The theme this year focuses on "active neighborhoods building health".  According to both organizations, a "physically active citizen" is an individual who commits to adopting physical activity into their lifestyle that is both economically and ecologically responsible.  The organizations suggest using walking as the primary mode of transportation as often as possible.
     How can you celebrate "World Day for Physical Activity"on Monday, April 6th?  Designate the day as a "car free" day and walk or ride your bike to your destinations.  Or, organize a lunchtime walk with co-workers, neighbors, friends and/or family members.  Be creative.  Your celebration can even be on a small scale as long as it incorporates additional physical activity into your daily life.

Note:  Before beginning an exercise program or increasing the intensity level of a current routine, a physician's approval should be obtained, especially for older adults and those at risk for or who currently have chronic health conditions.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

World Day for Physical Activity will find me walking outside! If I have to go to the drug store or the cleaners, or even the grocery story, which is a mile and a half away from home, promise to walk.

Walking is my favorite exercise. Through spring---now!---through summer I usually walk outside, using my I-Pod and my feet. Sometimes I sing out loud, which must seem strange to those who might hear me, but I assure you, I seldom encounter a fellow walker.

This site is great! The topics are encouraging. I look forward to reading it and tonight I had the chance to catch up on some of the most recently posted topics. You can count on me to stay hooked!

April 1, 2009 at 7:41 PM 
Blogger Cindy Haskin-Popp said...

I agree. I enjoy walking as well. My family and I just got back from one of our regular evening walks. The sunny days this week had me out walking at lunch time too. Keep up the enthusiasm and the walking. Each step takes you further down the path to good health!

April 1, 2009 at 8:22 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning, Cindy! I wanted to thank you for writing all of these fantastic posts. You definitely know your stuff, and you present information in an easy-to-read way. Keep up the great work!!

April 2, 2009 at 11:48 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cindy--

Your information is great, but even greater is your willingness to share your family with those of us who read (and comment, even Anonymously). I've been away for a while and not kept up as I would have liked to, so I'll be reviewing the archives to make sure I'm up to date. And I'll look forward to the next column too.

April 24, 2009 at 8:41 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home